There are so many times in life all we seem to focus on is the bad or negative moments from our past. We really need to change that!
I hit another milestone in life this last month.
- Turned 60-years young on the 16th.
- Turned 20-years since Columbine (yes, I lived in Denver during that tragedy)
- Turned 5 years since our complete loss in our house fire.
- Turned 5 years since the loss of my youngest grandson (in that fire -he was only 4-years old).
Yes, these were all very strong emotional milestones – HOWEVER – I may have figured out another way to deal with these issues – TALK.
Perhaps I’m just nuts, but I find great relief in talking to my physically gone loved ones. Their bodies are no longer here for me to hug, but I still laugh a lot with them. I also get mad at them, cry with them, and shout at them – whichever course of action is required at that moment of discussion.
In case your wondering, no – they do not respond. At least not in the normal way. I don’t hear voices (pretty sure my sister does), but I do believe in signs. If I am in an angry mood and tearing apart weeds in the garden and spill out my anger verbally to the world, I like to think they are listening. Once in a while, something amazing happens. During those intense moments:
- A butterfly has landed on me.
- A snake crossed my path and looked at me.
- A morning dove perched above cooing at me.
- Cats have come and sat next to (or on) me.
- Even our fowl – chickens, turkeys, ducks – have on occasion joined me.
I like to believe that this is my loved one’s way of saying that I am not alone, and they are listening. They may not be able to help any more than bringing me a moment’s distraction and possibly a smile, but they are there trying to help.
You can also check me out at: www.helbergfarmstories.com for fun stories from our farm.